Friday, June 14, 2013

June 14, 2013::landscape


I am from a beautiful part of the country. I no longer take for granted the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina where I was raised. I am overwhelmed by the beauty every summer when I head back up the mountain for a visit.

Likewise, the beauty of the Bluegrass region of Kentucky has not been lost on me these last ten years. I enjoy new landscapes and new adventures.

Kokomo and Central Indiana have their bright spots. I am learning to enjoy seeing the farm houses and wind turbines. Watching the height of the corn change each time we visit is fascinating and the square traffic patterns around said corn and bean fields are somehow comforting in their predictability.

This is no Western North Carolina, but I see a different kind of beauty in this place. The beauty of the landscape is not of the natural sort, but a reflection of hard labor and our mark on Mother Nature. It's almost systematic in appearance. To me, it's about the people. I see the people reflected in the land. I am looking forward to spending some time here with these folks. I will always be a mountain girl, but I am glad to be here now.

Namaste

No comments: