Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Apr. 23, 2013 :: food

After months of getting by because of health, schedules, the need to keep the house tidy for showings, I am feeling starved for good, whole foods.

We always have fresh fruits and veggies around for snacking, and I buy very little processed snack food. It's meal time that has fallen apart.

Until I started feeling bad last fall, I was a whole foods stickler, but surgery, followed by moving, has changed that. I should say, I have changed...and not for the better. Convenience is the name of the game. Maybe not horrible convenience, but far more processed food than I comfortable serving my family. Canned beans, frozen vegetarian gunk, white pasta and jarred sauces. I am suffering. The kids are suffering. Our calorie needs are being met, but not our nutritional needs.

As the weather warms, I am beginning to come out of my funky hibernation and have the energy and creativity to plan and prepare meals again. I believe that food is medicine, that our daily intake determines our ability either to survive or thrive. I want to thrive.

Today, I spent a couple if hours chopping vegetables, simmering lentils, making vinaigrette. Tonight, the boys are having shrimp and veggies. Embree and I will have quinoa salad with zucchini and lots of other veg. Hippie food, I know, and I am hungry for it.

Eat well, friends.
Namaste



No comments: