Thursday, July 18, 2013

July 18, 2013::les mis

Todd and I took Embree, Reeves, and our niece Emma to see Lea Miserables at the Barter Theatre in Abingdon, Va this week. Les Mis is Todd's most favorite play and we really looked forward to seeing it done on a small stage by professional actors.





The sets and costumes were lovely, all in shades of white except small pieces in color to signify character or place. Overall, it was so well conceived and produced. I was particularly irked, though, by the Ethel Merman like qualities of the actress playing Fantine. As many times as I have seen the play and movies, I have never before been thankful that her death scene comes early in Act I. Other than that casting mistake, it was a lovely evening. I won't say this actress wasn't talented, just very miscast. We saw her in The 39 Steps a few years ago and she was brilliant. To each director his or vision, I suppose. 




It was a great experience for the kids, too. Embree and I are still comparing notes. I am so thankful that my family enjoys theatre as much as I do. Our move to Indiana is in close proximity to both Indianapolis and Chicago theatre districts and we are looking forward to many shows in the coming years.


Namaste



No comments: